Football focus – think you know your stuff, when it comes to what’s been happening on the pitch and all things football? All work and no play, and all that – so we thought we’d take a light-hearted look at some of the most interesting stats and records from the world of football.
Over the last decade, it’s been our pleasure to work with a number of these clubs and others, based across the UK and Europe. From helping to increase matchday sales, to enhancing the fan experience, our pop up shops and portable units have taken pride of place at sporting venues big and small.
So, think you know your stuff on the pitch? From amazing goals to the largest stadiums and the most number of reds cards given in a match, it’s time to test your knowledge.
13 cool football stats
- Alan Shearer has missed the most Premier League penalties (11) but also scored the most (56). (Mirror)
- The record for the most number of saves made in a single Premier League game is 14 (BBC)
- The furthest distance away that a goal has been scored from a header is 190ft, achieved by Jone Samuelsen in a Norwegian league game (YouTube)
- Barcelona’s Camp Nou stadium is the largest in Europe with a capacity of 98,757, while Wembley is the largest in the UK with 90,000 (TitanBet)
- £198 million was the record transfer fee commanded by Neymar when he moved from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain in the summer of 2017 (CNBC)
- Only two players have scored Premier League penalties with both feet – Bobby Zamora and Obafemi Martins (Mirror)
- The most goals scored in a European Cup final is 7, achieved by Alfrédo Di Stéfano and Ferenc Puskás, both of Real Madrid (UEFA)
- The oldest goal scorer in a UEFA Champions League final is Paolo Maldini (36 years 333 days) during Milan v Liverpool in May 2005 (UEFA)
- Wayne Rooney surpassed Sir Bobby Charlton as Manchester United’s leading goal scorer of all time, when he made his 250th strike against Stoke City in January 2017 (com)
- The oldest professional football club in England is Notts County founded in 1862, followed by Stoke City in 1863 (football-stadiums.co.uk)
- The oldest stadium still in use is Bramall Lane, home to Sheffield United. It was built in 1855 with the first fixture being a local derby played in 1862 (football-stadiums.co.uk)
- The fastest UEFA Champions League goal ever scored was by Roy Makaay in just 10.12 seconds during Bayern München v Real Madrid in March 2007 (UEFA)
- The highest number of red cards issued in one game is 36 during a match in Argentina in 2011 where referee Damian Rubino was forced to send off both teams (Claypole and Arenas), all the substitutes and even some technical staff after a fight broke out (com)
Rapid Retail supports sporting venues to fulfil their retail ambitions. From Premier League teams, right through to non-league clubs. Units are available to either rent or buy and can be used for a broad range of functions, from retail and ticketing, to catering, bar units, or fan zone areas.
You may also be interested in:
- What can lower league football clubs do to provide a great ‘fan experience’?
- 5 ways to maximise revenue for sporting venues
- The top 10 ways football clubs can use mobile kiosks and portable unit
- Why football clubs across Europe are taking advantage of portable units
For more information and an informal chat about how our units could help you, please call our friendly team on +44 (0)1386 555044.