For sporting venues across the UK, taking responsibility for plastic waste and being environmentally conscious is becoming a hugely crucial social aspect to take on-board.
The Jockey Club is one of many organisations looking at ways to reduce their impact on the environment across racecourses in which they operate, with a recent plethora of kiosks being dispatched to Cheltenham Racecourse to provide a plastic cup redemption solution for high-attendance racedays.
The system is relatively straightforward for visitors to return their cups to these stations. When purchasing a drink, customers will be prompted to return their cups to one of the various kiosk locations when done with them instead of throwing them away. As an incentive, all cups returned will be eligible for a £1 refund.
This system then enables reusable cups to be used across the ground to replace the disposable cups used previously, reducing the amount of plastic waste significantly and improving the overall cleanliness of the venue.
To better understand the positive impact this has, below are some facts about the issues that come with single-use cups:
- Disposable paper cups contain 5% polyurethane plastic, making composting and recycling of disposable cups extremely rare
- Half a trillion disposable cups are manufactured annually around the world; that’s over 70 disposable cups for every person on the planet.
- Most plastic used in the world today is for single-use items.
- 4 billion trees, or 35% of the total trees chopped down, are used in paper industries
- One tonne of paper consumes 98 tonnes of resources in manufacture.
- Globally, we consume nearly 300 million tonnes of paper each year, most made from virgin pulp.
- Very little recycled paper is used to make disposable cups due to health risk concerns.
- 70% of the world’s paper comes from diminishing forests, not from plantations or recycling
- Consumer waste has increased more than tenfold over the 20th century, from 40kg to 560kg of waste per person, per year.
Lord’s Cricket Ground was the first venue to utilise Rapid Retail kiosks as part of a greener environment campaign, to reduce the vast amounts of plastic waste primarily from disposable cups on busy event-days. Since then, the concept has developed into one that is essential for venues looking to make environmentally conscious changes.
Rapid Retail supplies high-quality, purpose-built redemption kiosks that are not only fit for purpose but brandable and customisable, providing the perfect opportunity to display your eco message to visitors alongside your brand. If you’d like to find out more about our redemption kiosks, contact us on +44 (0)1386 555044 or email email@example.com